Monday, December 20, 2010

Beautiful Riagan: 9 Months




Maybe the reason Irish Wolfhounds are noble, and they are, is because they are so big they have little to fear. Even when they play fight, they learn how strong they are, and how few living things could hurt them.

They are so very smart and generous.

Once a week I give Riagan a shower with me, and she always comes right in (she doesn't have to be dragged) and sits calmly as I spray her with water, work in the shampoo and groom her.

In fact, nothing seems to phase her except being separated from us. As long as she's by our side--when we sleep--when we wake--when we work outside--she's very content. When she's around, I have very little to fear either. There is no one, no thing, that does not give her instant or, at least, quick respect.

Her handshake, which we are trying to her train out of, is coming behind a guest and standing full up (which is about at their height) and pushing them with her paws. Big men have been pushed forward with her strength and turn in awe--like what beast is this? They're all amazed at her and, generally, can't take their eyes off of her.

Or maybe it's just me--I can't take my eyes off her.

3 comments:

  1. She's beautiful...I can understand why you can't take your eyes off of her. :-) I grew up with Newfoundland dogs. They are big. I can understand completely when you speak of Riagan getting instant respect. Don't you find that when you have a dog that size, there is a calmness that they project on to you... not unlike horses...and you begin to relax.

    Love that you take her in the shower with you!!! I used to take my Yorkie in the bath with me and he would swim around and around. So cute.

    Have a great holiday and best wishes for 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, she definitely does give me strength. She's like an extra set of eyes and ears--and I feel very well protected when she's by me. This year the coyotes killed three of my dear, dear cats, and it broke my heart. The coyotes haven't been around since Riagan grew up--so she's protecting all of us.

    Happy Holidays to you as well--I hope you have a wonderful Christmas and 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And, I should add--Newfoundlands are in the exact same category--what a treat to have grown up with them!!

    ReplyDelete